2014 HOMEOWNERSHIP ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
The purpose of the County of Lambton's Homeownership Down Payment Assistance Program is to provide eligible households living in rental accommodations with loan assistance of up to 10% to a maximum of $20,000 for the purchase of a new or resale home not exceeding $200,000.
Approval for funding is based on the information provided by applicants through theHomeownership Down Payment Assistance Application Form. Conditions for funding include, but are not limited to the following:
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant or have Refugee claimant status
- Applicants must be a renter, which is defined as a Tenant who has a rental agreement for a self-contained unit with a property owner who is not a relative
- Applicants and/or their spouse/partner do not currently own a home or have an ownership interest in a home or land
- Applicants seeking funds to offset construction costs on land they currently own are not eligible for funding
- Applicants have a maximum household income of $77,800
- Applicants have a maximum of $25,000 in assets, which includes bank accounts, investments (excluding RRSPs) and any property
- Applicants do not have outstanding social housing arrears in Ontario
- Applicants will use the purchased home as their sole and principal residence
Applicants qualify for a mortgage through a recognized financial institution
- Home must be modest in size and located in Lambton County
- Home may be detached, semi-detached, townhome, or apartment
- Mobile homes and homes on Reserve Land are not eligible for funding
- Resale homes require a recent home inspection completed by a certified home inspector and paid for by the purchaser/applicant
- New homes, including conversions from non-residential use, must qualify for a Tarion Certificate of Completion and Possession under the Ontario New Home Warranty Program
- Purchase of Sale Agreements and closing dates must be dated between April 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014
- Allow a minimum of 30 business days between submitting a complete application and the closing date
- Allow a minimum of 15 business days between the date all conditions are met and the closing date
Funding is limited so please contact the Project Coordinator at 519-344-2062 ext 2165 to confirm funding is still available prior to submitting your application.
Conditions for Repayment
Loan is forgiven if home is sold after 20 years provided the homeowner has complied with all the terms and conditions of the Loan Agreement.
If the home is sold before 20 year period expires, homeowner must repay the original loan plus a percentage of the realized capital gain.
If the home is sold before 20 year period expires and homeowner experiences a capital loss, repayment would be reduced by the amount of loss, provided the sale meets the following criteria:
- the unit is sold at a fair market value; and
- the purchase and sale of the unit is an arm's-length transaction
If the purchaser is in default of any term of the Loan Agreement within 20 years of the date of purchase, it is deemed a sale and the loan plus a percentage of the realized capital gain becomes immediately due.
Only complete applications will be considered
Homeownership Down Payment Assistance Application Form
An application must have all information entered, and all supporting documentation provided to be considered complete
Incomplete applications will be returned.
If an applicant is deemed eligible for the down payment assistance, the following minimumadditional documentation is required:
- Two (2) photocopies of the Purchase of Sale Agreement
- Completion of the Loan Agreement
- For resale homes, a Home Inspection Report by a certified professional Home Inspector is required, at the applicant's expense
- For new homes, a Tarion Certificate of Completion and Possession under the Ontario New Home Warranty Program
Completed applications along with required documentation can be dropped off at the County of Lambton Housing Services Department. The office is located on the 2nd Floor of the Bayside Centre in Sarnia (150 N. Christina Street) and is open Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
County of Lambton - Housing Services Department
Telephone: 519-344-2062 ext 2165